Henry IV began an energetic building program in Paris in 1595. He wished to remake the medieval city in order to have Paris become a commercial and political capital. The Pont Neuf, the Place Dauphine and the Hôpital Saint Louis started his program, but his assassination in 1610 brought it to a halt and introduced a period of civil strife. Louis XIII and Cardinal Richelieu were able to revive the plans for Paris in 1630 and put up striking buildings such as the Palais Cardinal (later the Palais Royal), the church of Val-de-Grace and the church of the Sorbonne. Their deaths in 1643 left the five year old Louis XIV as king and a long period of violence and challenge followed until he took full power in 1660. He instituted a vast program to rebuild the Louvre, construct the Invalides, tear down the city walls and develop the grand boulevards while also creating the image of his monarchy at Versailles. His wars stopped much of the construction, but the magistrates of Paris continued their own program until royal interest revived in 1740 under Louis XV. The Place de la Concorde with its huge buildings, the church of Ste. Genevieve and the faubourg Ste.-Honoré became the emblems of his reign and completed the task started by Henry IV.